25 September 2014

Review - Threats of Sky and Sea By: Jennifer Ellision

Title: Threats of Sky and Sea (Threats of Sky and Sea #1)
Author: Jennifer Ellision
Publisher: Smashwords Edition, 253 pages (May 16th 2014)
From: from author
Format: e-book
Add to: Goodreads

Synopsis: Sixteen year-old Breena Perdit has spent her life as a barmaid, innocent to her father’s past and happily free from the Elemental gifts that would condemn her to a life in the Egrian King’s army. Until the day that three Elemental soldiers recognize her father as a traitor to the throne and Bree’s father is thrown in jail—along with the secrets from his last mission as the King’s assassin. Secrets that could help the King win a war. Secrets he refuses to share.

Desperate to escape before the King’s capricious whims prove her and her father’s downfall, Bree bargains with him: information for their lives. It’s a good trade. And she has faith she’ll get them both out of the King’s grasp with time.

But that was before the discovery that she’s the weapon the King’s been waiting for in his war.

Now, time is running out. To save her father’s life and understand her own, Bree must unravel the knot of her father’s past before the King takes his life– and uses her to bring a nation to its knees.

Review: 3.5-4 stars
When I first received the request to review this book, something about it reminded me of Maria V. Snyder’s Study series; I’ve also seen a few comparisons to Sarah J. Maas’ Throne of Glass series.

Having read Threats of Sky and Sea, the Study series and the first book in the Throne of Glass series I can honestly say that although there are a few similarities, it definitely holds it’s own in the fantasy genre.

Breena (Bree) has lived all of her life in Abeline. Her father owns The Bridge and Duchess Tavern where Bree works as a barmaid.

One night when collecting firewood in the forest; Bree happens upon a group of Adept also known as Elementals (Fire, Water, Air and Earth users). The Adept can control the elements, once trained they can get them to do anything. The trio led by Lady Katerine know Bree saw what they were doing in the forest and threaten her to keep secret what she saw.

As the tavern closes for the night, Bree discovers that she has been living a lie for her entire life. When the Adept identify her Father as someone who ran away from the King’s army 16 years ago; a secret her Father has kept. Bree’s life is about to change forever.

Although Bree to her knowledge has never had any connection with Elementals, the King is sure with a bit of training she could have powers. Training commences and brings a shock to Bree; something that she never thought possible has happened. She is adept.

The King wishes to use Bree for his own gain. Her Father has information the King wants, Bree is his leverage to get that information. She must decide whether or not she is willing to be a weapon in his army or risk losing her Father.

Bree is a strong character. Even at her 16 years she is feisty, loyal and ready to deal with whatever is thrown her way. She is perfect as the lead character in this book.

I will be honest when reading this book I felt a few parts were a bit slow. I wanted more to happen. When you reach the end of the book, especially around chapter 37, you realise they were building to this moment. Up until then the book was hovering between a 3-3.5 stars for me. Then so near to the end, so much happened; including the reveal of a secret I hadn’t seen coming.

Another slight downside of this book for me was that the world building didn’t engage me a hundred percent. Although the world was discussed, I prefer to be thrown in at the deep end. Surrounded, sometimes wrapped up in a world, imagining everything from the type of castle to the smells in the air.

This could however be grown on in Riot of Storm and Smoke, book 2 in the series, which I eagerly look forward to reading.

I definitely have high hopes for book 2 in the series. I need to know what becomes of the “awesome foursome” as I lovingly have nicknamed Breena, Prince Caden, Princess Aleta and Adept Tregle.

I have also noticed on Goodreads that there is a prequel to this series Sisters of Wind and Flame. I’m off to find that as soon as I’ve finished writing my review. I’m intrigued to learn more about how everything began. 


Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love