20 February 2014

Review - Dead Silent By: Sharon Jones

Title: Dead Silent
Author: Sharon Jones
Publisher: Orchard Books, 336 pages, February 6th 2014
From: Review e-book from Netgalley.com
Format: e-book
Add to: Goodreads

Synopsis: A snow angel etched in blood. An elite society. A secret dying to get out.

The second Poppy Sinclair Thriller.

When Poppy Sinclair and her boyfriend visit snowy Cambridge, she doesn't expect to discover the body of a student - arms outstretched in the act of smearing bloody angel wings on the chapel's floor.

Suddenly, Poppy is faced with the possibility that the one closest to her heart might be the one committing the most malicious of crimes.

Dodging porters and police, dreading what she might find, Poppy follows the clues left by a murderer bent on revenge...

Long-hidden secrets are chillingly revealed, an avenging angel seeks forgiveness and red-hot vengeance must be quelled in the amazing new Poppy Sinclair thriller.

Review: 5 stars - ***Review contains spoilers.*** 

First off I will say I have read Sharon Jones’ Dead Jealous and I loved it. When I found Dead Silent on NetGalley, I had to request it. Luckily for me my request was granted.

Poppy Sinclair and her boyfriend Michael visit Cambridge; Michael has a university interview at King’s College. Poppy has her own reasons for joining Michael on this visit- she’s being reunited with her father, the chaplain at Cambridge’s Trinity College.

Things are a little strained between Poppy and her father and unfortunately they take a turn for the worst. On the morning of her second day in Cambridge, Poppy walks into the chapel to find her Dad covered in blood and a dead body on the floor. Poppy soon finds herself immersed in a world of secret societies, deceit and at the mercy of one person’s need for revenge.

The setting for this book is perfect. The architecture of Kings and Trinity colleges themselves makes them a little scary and daunting for a newcomer. I’ve never been to Cambridge but when I started reading Dead Silent I searched on the internet for photos of both places. WOW! Definitely imposing. Their heritage and years of history makes the possibility of secret societies even more likely. Who knows what’s hidden behind those walls.

A layer of snow adds to the atmosphere of this book. I’ve never really thought much about weather being mentioned in books before and the influence it may have on a story. It’s like a white sheet has covered the world we know, everything changes, a sense of peace and yet somehow makes everything seem more sinister. If I was already feeling scared about the events mentioned in Dead Silent; then snow and the quiet it brings with it would definitely have me running for the hills; but not Poppy.

Poppy must have an in-built radar for finding trouble- or maybe it finds her. Maybe there’s something more to Poppy than meets the eye. You’ll have to read the book to find out.

Dead Silent is written in dual or two person POV, meaning we see both Poppy and Michael’s reaction to things. This helps us understand their relationship a bit better. They have been friends from a young age; can tell when the other is unhappy and above all their concern and love for each other is paramount to their other emotions. Michael wants Poppy to be safe, even if it means risking his life for her.

I will briefly mention one other thing about their relationship. There is something mentioned a few chapters in and it was one of the most adorable things I’ve ever read in a book. I could completely imagine the characters as children in this part of the book. I won’t go into detail about this because I want readers to experience it first hand when they read it- prepare for the melting of your heart.

Not far from the end of Dead Silent I nearly couldn’t bring myself to read on. I was brought to tears. An unexpected event nearly ruined the whole book for me. After much internal screaming, I decided that Sharon Jones couldn’t be that evil; so read on and was not disappointed by the ending. I was surprised by who the “bad guy” was in this book. I had not suspected them in the slightest.

Dead Silent, is a fast paced Young Adult thriller that didn’t fail to surprise me. I read it in about 6 hours as I was engrossed by the mystery and like Poppy; I wanted to get to the bottom of what was happening.

I’m looking forward to seeing what mischief and mystery will unfold in the yet untitled book 3 in the Poppy Sinclair series.

Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love