25 March 2013

Review: Dark Triumph By: Robin LaFevers

Title: Dark Triumph (His Fair Assassin #2)
Author: Robin LaFevers
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Books for Children, 400 pages (April 2nd 2013)
From: the Publisher via Amazon Vine
Format: ARC
Add to: Goodreads

Synopsis: Sybella arrives at the convent’s doorstep half mad with grief and despair. Those that serve Death are only too happy to offer her refuge—but at a price. Naturally skilled in both the arts of death and seduction, the convent views Sybella as one of their most dangerous weapons.

But those assassin’s skills are little comfort when the convent returns her to a life that nearly drove her mad. Her father’s rage and brutality are terrifying, and her brother’s love is equally monstrous. And while Sybella is a weapon of justice wrought by the god of Death himself, He must give her a reason to live. When she discovers an unexpected ally imprisoned in the dungeons, will a daughter of Death find something other than vengeance to live for?

This heart-pounding sequel to Grave Mercy serves betrayal, treachery, and danger in equal measure, bringing readers back to fifteenth century Brittany and will keep them on the edge of their seats.

Review: 5 Stars - Dark Triumph by author R.L. LaFevers was one of the most eager anticipated titles for this reader of 2013. The characters are fascinating, I mean Assassin Nuns? Yes please! And a beautifully written story rich with history, intrigue, sabotage and scandals that never stop.

In the first book in the trilogy – Grave Mercy – we’re introduced us to some characters I have grown to love and look forward to reading about. A story set in such an interesting period we learn of the Assassin Nuns who serve Death. They are taught at a covenant of St. Mortain in all things seduction and the art of killing and LaFevers has crafted some compelling characters’ that I seriously can’t get enough of. And this is coming from someone who is not a fan of historical novels, yet LaFevers has such a way with Brittany in the fifteenth century that I've fallen in love with everything about this trilogy.

Of all the handmaidens of Death, Sybella is the darkest. Her past and present are not happy or cheerful in the slightest. She’s was in a living hell when she managed to find her escape within the covenant. There she finds a place in the world and some friends who she holds close to her heart – such as Ismae whose story we read about in Grave Mercy.

Sybella and Ismae might be servants of Death and kill with ease, yet the two girls couldn't be more different from one another. During Grave Mercy that we see a glimpse of Sybella and I knew what was coming for her book would be sad, if not heartbreaking. I was curious as to whom Sybella was and what she’d add to the overall trilogy.

During Dark Triumph we finally see the extent of her past and why she’s currently in the position she is within her father’s family. And all horrific things she must navigate to stay alive and complete her task, which let me tell you, is far from easy. It’s not only her father who’s unbelievably cruel and damaging to our female protagonist, pretty much the whole house holds many, many frightening things for her and everyone around her. Her father is a piece of work, let me tell you and all around him are forced to cower in his presence.

Sybella goes through many thoughts and trials during her journey. She’s confused and has questions, she’s in search of answers for and it takes a brute of a man named Beast to help her figure the many things out she’s up against. It’s not an easy road for Sybella, she’s a tough, tough girl yet it was nice to see her find a softer side which made my heart break for her more than a few times. I see why she’s the way that she is. There’s no doubt anyone would create the walls she did to protect herself and I liked the inner dialogue while we followed along as she unraveled her life and the knots of challenges along the way when it came to helping protect the Duchess.

And Beast – The man also did a number with my heart over and over again too! I never thought it could be possible but he did. Such a big – as he’s described in the book – ogre of a man broke my heart each and every time he did Sybellas and then he managed to piece it right back together again. LaFever gave him words that softened him and made him less “beast” and more of a man and in turn had me swooning for this amazingly compelling male character. I loved Sybella and Beast, they worked together well and fought together even better. WOW, what a pair!

It is without a doubt that I love these books. They are captivating, thrilling and wonderful and LaFevers has found a way to whisk me away to a darker time and place so far removed from our own that I lose all track of time. This trilogy is one of the best I've read and from someone who steers away from anything historical, that’s saying something. There is no question that I highly recommend these books to any and all readers. Let Dark Triumph captivate you with its rich story, fantastic writing and wonderfully crafted characters today. Trust me, you’ll thank me and kick yourself for waiting this long to read these books.

FTC Disclaimer: I did NOT pay for this book, nor have I been compensated at all in any way or means for reading and writing this HONEST review.

Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I have serious envy of you, being able to read this. I was surprised at just how much I enjoyed the first one; it definitely surpassed my expectations, and to hear that the second book in the series is just as good is very heartening. I'm going to have to get my hands on a copy of this ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love Beast so much! I was bummed not to get much of him in GM and so relieved when I found out he would return in DT. He did not disappoint!

    ReplyDelete

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love