26 May 2012



Title: Purity
Author: Jackson Pearce
Publisher: Little Brown for Young Readers, 218 Pages (April 24th, 2012)
Add to: Goodreads
Order here: Amazon, Barnes and Noble, The Book Depository

Synopsis: A novel about love, loss, and sex -- but not necessarily in that order.

Before her mother died, Shelby promised three things: to listen to her father, to love as much as possible, and to live without restraint. Those Promises become harder to keep when Shelby's father joins the planning committee for the Princess Ball, an annual dance that ends with a ceremonial vow to live pure lives -- in other words, no "bad behavior," no breaking the rules, and definitely no sex.

Torn between Promises One and Three, Shelby makes a decision -- to exploit a loophole and lose her virginity before taking the vow. But somewhere between failed hookup attempts and helping her dad plan the ball, Shelby starts to understand what her mother really meant, what her father really needs, and who really has the right to her purity.


Interview:

Hi Jackson, thank you so much for being part of May’s Blogger Talk: Novel Exposed. We’re excited to have you here and to help celebrate your new and first contemporary novel – Purity.

1. Purity is centered on an event known as the "Princess Ball" and these are pretty common. Have you ever attended one of these balls? Where did you go to for information about the process?

I’ve never attended one, but I had friends who did. I was always fascinated and a little horrified by them. I got all of my research from the websites of actual purity balls/the organizations throwing them. Nothing about them was invented, though I did combined elements of various purity balls together to create the Princess Ball Shelby attends.

Did your writing process change much if at all from when you work on fairy tale retellings to now your first contemporary novel? Was it hard to switch gears?

The writing process didn’t change very much, but it was a little tricky to switch voices. I wrote the first draft of PURITY, then had to stop, set it aside, and write SWEETLY. It was tricky getting back into Shelby’s head.

Were you afraid to tackle a book dealing with virginity and religion? What was the most difficult part?

Not especially, because I realized that it was the sort of book I wanted to read. I tried to be as honest as I could, and to not think of the people who were going to automatically judge the book on its subject matter.

Of all the characters in Purity, who would you say your personality resembles the most?

Ruby, easily. She’s the closest I’ve ever come to putting myself in a story.

Could you describe your main character Shelby in 3 words?

Shelby is…conflicted, loving, and loyal.

And lastly, if readers take one message way with them after reading Purity, what would you hope that message would be?

That nothing is as simple as it seems, especially when you’re an outside observer.

Thanks so much for stopping by. It was great to have you on the blog again Jackson. You are always more than welcome to drop on by again and we hope that you will.


Quotes From Purity:

A couple favorite quotes from Jackson:

pg 62 “My eyes scan over them, mind cluttering with words like intense and heated and tropical—tropical? Is this a display of contraceptives or a line of fruity alcohols?”

p124 “You know,” Jonas finally says, his voice edged with relief as the cold air begins to flow toward the back of the car, “I’m beginning to think your dad is adopted. No way he’s related to Kaycee.”
    “Well,” I say, “there’s always the possibility that Kaycee was kidnapped and raised by drag queens or exotic dancers.”

A couple of my favorite quotes:

"What's so funny?"
"You won't think it's funny," he says, but when I fold my arms he grins sheepishly. "I dunno, Shelby. It's just kind of like a sitcom, thinking of you vowing your purity."
"Even the word purity freaks me out, " I answer in disgust.
"Exactly. It'd make the perfect sitcom plot." -- Pg. 28

"Oh!" he says, then looks sheepish, like he should have known that I'd be busy. "It's just... you know, only five weeks out. I was thinking it'd be a breeze...."
I sigh. "Okay, I'll help - but I've got to study. Maybe later?" I say, which is code for "Maybe after I've punched myself in the face fifty times." -- Pg. 37

"Yes, yes," Jonas mutters, and I can picture him nodding in agreement. "What about a 'no jackasses' rule?"
I muse over the idea. "I don't think that'll work. I've only got five weeks. If we throw out all the jackasses at Ridgebrook, we'll be left with, like... the drama club and a few people in the marching band." -- Pg. 39

 Jonas signs. "Lord, what fools these mortals be," he quotes as we break out of the cattle herd and emerge in the heat of the day. -- Pg. 49



A couple of Jessica's favorite quotes:

"I'm not sure who jumps first, but the next thing I know, the three of us sail through the air, blue sky sliding into green trees toward the lake. This is life without restraint; this is what Mom wanted for me."

"I don't want to vow anything that has to do with my lady parts," I answer quickly. The idea makes me shiver, which sends Ruby into a giggling fit"

"What about a 'no jackasses' rule?" I muse over the idea. "I don't think that'll work. I've only got five weeks. If we throw out the jackasses at Ridgebrook, we'll be left with, like... the drama club and a few people in marching band."

*Jessica's quotes were taken from the e-ARC. My quotes were taken from a finish copy.





Find Jackson Online:









We wanted to do this feature as a way to promote a new release and get people involved in discussing the book. One of the best ways to find out about a book is to read the reviews.

Please feel free to link your review of A Temptation of Angels that has been posted on your blog or Goodreads.

Rules:
Please post ONLY your review of A Temptation of Angels.
Please provide the direct link in the linky.
You can include your rating of the book.

Example of link: A Life Bound By Books - Purity Review (4 stars)

Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

1 comment:

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love