27 January 2011

Title: Whisper of Light (Light, #2)
Author: Jennifer DeLucy
Publisher: Omnific Publishing, (October 26th 2010)
From: the Author & Publisher, Thank You!

Synopsis: The saying goes that all men are created equal... but Nicole Abbot knows better. Lacking the supernatural gifts of the Sentients she has known all her life, Nicole has lived with her nose pressed to the glass, withering beneath the guilt of her own inadequacies and the disapproving glare of her father. It's easy to believe that the universe has forgotten all about her, but things are not always as they seem. With the arrival of Christian Wright, a handsome but complex Combatant with a troubled history, Nicole is forced to question everything she has ever believed about herself, proving that sometimes, our most flawed perceptions are those reflected in a mirror.

Review: 4.5 Stars - Jennifer DeLucy’s Light series continues with its second installment in Whisper of Light. If you haven’t read Seers of Light (Light, #1), first off – what are you waiting for? And secondly – this review might include some spoilers, so be prepared, some might be unintentionally included.

With DeLucy’s ever present beautiful writing, story and some of the characters from the first book that we know and love returning in Whisper of Light, I sat down and didn’t get up until I had devoured each and every page of this book. With such a strong story, characters and writing, what’s not to fall in love with here?

In Whisper of Light we meet a new type of heroine – Nicole. She’s unlike the Sentients she was born, raised and still lives with – she was born into this different life without any Endowments or supernatural gifts. She’s quiet and somewhat stand offish and lives life with more than just that burden. She’s under a huge amount of stress and weight on her shoulders and a huge part of that comes from her father, who is really a piece of work and to this reader, she kind of felt like a stranger in her own skin as she tries to live and cope with just being… well normal.

I enjoyed reading Nicole because to me she struck home time and time again. She’s one of those characters who so many people will be able to relate to. The questioning of one ’s self and where they fit into the world, and how they feel so different from everyone around them really were key points that even I found myself deeply understanding.

Then we have Christian who has come to live with a new Sentient group to try to heal himself from the past. Again, you need to read Seers to understand just why Christian ventures so far from home. It’s through Christian we get to see some of the real Nicole and through Nicole we in turn get to see some of the real Christian. Those points in the book are few and far between, but I felt that was the point – again DeLucy with amazing pacing and timing showed that, well, to change and see something from a different point of view about yourself doesn’t happen overnight.

That’s one thing that I think DeLucy has hit the nail on the head with. She’s patient with her story telling and allows her characters to fully grow and come to terms with things in a way that we can all fully understand. Her characters personalities aren’t all that far from true and can be found in just about each person if we take the time.

All in all DeLucy is, in my eyes a writer who has amazing amounts of talent and who I for one will be waiting on pins and needles for the next book in the Trilogy. Anything she writes for that matter, I’ll be eager to get my hands on. I’ll be sad to see it end but will forever keep my fingers crossed that maybe someday her Sentients will talk to her again. So, for now… everyone hurry up and read both her books. You won’t be sorry! The third book in the Light Series looks to be released sometime late Spring. *softly nudges Jenn back to her computer to hurry up and write the next book!*

Whisper of Light Trailer:


FTC Disclaimer: I did NOT pay for this book, nor have I been compensated at all in any way or means for reading and writing this HONEST review.

Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

1 comment:

  1. I haven't heard of this before. Thanks for putting it on my radar. You wrote an excellent, thoughtful review.

    ReplyDelete

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love