02 September 2010

Review: The Eternal Ones By: Kirsten Miller

Title: The Eternal Ones
Author: Kirsten Miller
Publisher: Razorbill, 416 Pages (August 10th 2010)
From: the Publisher, Thank You!

Synopsis: What if love refused to die?

Haven Moore can’t control her visions of a past with a boy called Ethan, and a life in New York that ended in fiery tragedy. In our present, she designs beautiful dresses for her classmates with her best friend Beau. Dressmaking keeps her sane, since she lives with her widowed and heartbroken mother in her tyrannical grandmother’s house in Snope City, a tiny town in Tennessee. Then an impossible group of coincidences conspire to force her to flee to New York, to discover who she is, and who she was.

In New York, Haven meets Iain Morrow and is swept into an epic love affair that feels both deeply fated and terribly dangerous. Iain is suspected of murdering a rock star and Haven wonders, could he have murdered her in a past life? She visits the Ouroboros Society and discovers a murky world of reincarnation that stretches across millennia. Haven must discover the secrets hidden in her past lives, and loves¸ before all is lost and the cycle begins again.

Review: 3 Stars - Kirsten Miller’s The Eternal Ones is a story that may have started in the past but it continues in the present. Cloaked in mysteries that run from one life on into the next as our main characters are reincarnated throughout time, Miller’s tale of past lives was a nice change of pace and a welcomed edition to the Young Adult Genre.

Haven, born and raised in a small religious town has visions of people and places she doesn’t know or has never been. These only make her more then an outcast. It was interesting following her as she learns more about herself, her family and these visions. With her best friend Beau by her side she slowly pieces things together and comes to realize just what her visions mean to her in the past and now in the present.

Iain, the rich, dark bad boy of the story is a celebrity of sorts and when Haven catches a glimpse of him on TV one night, she’s more then drawn to him and has no idea why. Iain was extremely mysterious and I often wondered if his intentions were honorable, I mean for me he was just down right creepy at times.

The interaction between Haven and Iain was sometimes predictable and at other times I found myself questioning why either did the things that they did. I enjoyed this for the mere fact that it was a refreshing change of pace to read something about reincarnation.

Their romance through the ages was somewhat timeless yet had its challenges as well - because lets face it, the love might still be there from the many many years that their lives span across, but people change as the times change and can their love survive this life?

And then Beau, he was one of those characters that you’d love if he could walk right off the pages and into your life. He was a great friend to Haven when she had really no one else. He listened and gave some pretty sound advice. I did find myself wishing there was more of him and his back story throughout.

All in all, Miller’s imaginative and descriptive storytelling was entertaining on many levels. Reincarnation is an interesting subject as is and Miller took the idea and was able to write a story many will enjoy. If there was a sequel, I’d read it.

FTC Disclaimer: I did NOT pay for this book, nor have I been compensated at all in any way or means for reading and writing this HONEST review.

Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

4 comments:

  1. Very much looking forward to reading this one! Great review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww....I loved Beau too! I'd have to agree that I thought some things were predictable, but overall, I thought there were more good things than bad. Great review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen a lot of mixed reviews on this one. It hadn't really been on my radar too much, but I'm considering reading it. The plot definitely sounds interesting, so I'm happy to hear that it's worth the read.

    Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting plot...i thgink i will add it to my TBR pile :D

    ReplyDelete

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love